blah: motivation
we give stickers to kids to motivate them to do well. it rewards them, and gives them a reason to try harder as well as a tangible sign that they have accomplished something.
people laughed at me this summer as I passed out "super" stickers to my Ethics and Values students at Utah Valley State College, but they loved it. there is this stigma that adults don't need stickers and its silly to try to motivate them with these. though there might be some debate whether intro level college students can be fully classified as adults, it seems that most voters would fall more objectively into that category.
now to my point. yesterday as I walked around I saw tons of little round "I Voted" stickers, with the little check mark instead of a "V" you know? well I think that this shows that maybe we don't grow out of stickers as much as people want to claim we do. (I know if someone randomly gave me a sticker it would make me feel affirmed, accomplished, and/or appreciated depending on the circumstances. well I guess unless it was an "I hate you sticker" or a sarcastic one but yeah. bring back stickers!) yesterday many adults wore their sticker proudly. this served as positive re-enforcement to the individual but also as a constant reminder to those that passed them that we too needed to 'go get our own sticker'.
there is probably a deeper, more philosophically and pedagogically rich point or lesson in all my ranting, but I feel like ranting right now. so that's what you get.
we give stickers to kids to motivate them to do well. it rewards them, and gives them a reason to try harder as well as a tangible sign that they have accomplished something.
people laughed at me this summer as I passed out "super" stickers to my Ethics and Values students at Utah Valley State College, but they loved it. there is this stigma that adults don't need stickers and its silly to try to motivate them with these. though there might be some debate whether intro level college students can be fully classified as adults, it seems that most voters would fall more objectively into that category.
now to my point. yesterday as I walked around I saw tons of little round "I Voted" stickers, with the little check mark instead of a "V" you know? well I think that this shows that maybe we don't grow out of stickers as much as people want to claim we do. (I know if someone randomly gave me a sticker it would make me feel affirmed, accomplished, and/or appreciated depending on the circumstances. well I guess unless it was an "I hate you sticker" or a sarcastic one but yeah. bring back stickers!) yesterday many adults wore their sticker proudly. this served as positive re-enforcement to the individual but also as a constant reminder to those that passed them that we too needed to 'go get our own sticker'.
there is probably a deeper, more philosophically and pedagogically rich point or lesson in all my ranting, but I feel like ranting right now. so that's what you get.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home