Monday, April 05, 2004

Religion:General Conference -I take it all back!
So, my concerns with Mission Loving Kindness was whether in the reality the message would be gotten across i.e. that while we disagree with important tenants of the LDS church and these issues should be addressed, it is inappropriate to try and do this by being obnoxious, rude, mean, and offensive. But THEY GOT IT.

Some how the message was out. People knew 1). that we were there to keep the street preachers away and 2). that we were still not totally agreeing and affirming their church.

It was amazing! Many people thanked us. We lined the street and at both ends were the street preachers so the contrast was amazing (if I figure out how to upload pictures I'll show you). They were there yelling totally offensive things for example one was overheard telling some girl that Joseph Smith would love to have sex with her -yuck! what does that accomplish but make Evangelical Christians look TERRIBLE?! I got hugs from strangers young, old, male, female. They were so grateful and I did not hold back at all I explained clearly that we were here because while our differences are important and significant we don't think its appropriate or necessary to be obnoxious and rude while trying to communicate them and we wanted to try and keep the psychos away.

Be clear that people KNEW that we were not pro-LDS and just saying 'can't we all get along?' It was not at all compromising and not at all offensive. I think it was good because 1). it put a better face on Evangelical Christianity and 2). NO-ONE no matter who you are should have to put up with the kind of crap that the street preachers usually give the LDS community at Conference.

So there, it was great.

Some quotes
"I have to admit because of people like that I generally have a bad opinion of Evangelical Christians because the most outspoken of them usually happen to be the most obnoxious." -my friend Shaun from the U, hopefully things like this will change these kind of opinions.

"Obviously someone has read the gospels" -some guy walking by on the street

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home