Religion: General Conference
This weekend is Conference weekend -LDS General Conference weekend that is. Usually this would mean that street preachers and protestors of all different shades and breeds would be preparing to hit the streets, but this weekend may be different. Standing Together, the ministry I work with has got permits so that only those who are "certified" and that means has a little tag or whatever and agreed to our non-offensive terms of action will be permitted to stand on the square. The idea (I think) is to show a different Christian face. The norm is signs and individuals shouting offensive slogans at the LDS members as they go to and from their sessions and last October there was even some public defaming of holy garments.
I started this blog thinking that while I totally support Greg and trust his leadership I was still unclear about what the point of "Mission Loving Kindness" is supposed to be. So I guess I get the point (if that is the point) -to show a different side of Evangelical Christianity, one that can disagree respectfully. But I still wonder if this -standing outside conference with smiling faces, stirring up inevitable conflict with our more aggressive brothers in the faith- is really going to get that message across.
I have reservations. To use some Christian-ese (cause I can), my spirit is not completely comfortable with this. I would love to hear what you my friends have to say with regard to this topic.
This weekend is Conference weekend -LDS General Conference weekend that is. Usually this would mean that street preachers and protestors of all different shades and breeds would be preparing to hit the streets, but this weekend may be different. Standing Together, the ministry I work with has got permits so that only those who are "certified" and that means has a little tag or whatever and agreed to our non-offensive terms of action will be permitted to stand on the square. The idea (I think) is to show a different Christian face. The norm is signs and individuals shouting offensive slogans at the LDS members as they go to and from their sessions and last October there was even some public defaming of holy garments.
I started this blog thinking that while I totally support Greg and trust his leadership I was still unclear about what the point of "Mission Loving Kindness" is supposed to be. So I guess I get the point (if that is the point) -to show a different side of Evangelical Christianity, one that can disagree respectfully. But I still wonder if this -standing outside conference with smiling faces, stirring up inevitable conflict with our more aggressive brothers in the faith- is really going to get that message across.
I have reservations. To use some Christian-ese (cause I can), my spirit is not completely comfortable with this. I would love to hear what you my friends have to say with regard to this topic.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home